Thursday, July 19, 2012

Worst Fishing Guide Meets Best Fishing Day

Worst Fishing Guide Meets Best Fishing Day

by Anthony Larson @

 “Guy” gave me a call about a month ago after he read in a forum a negative review someone gave me. He mostly wanted to let me know that someone put information about me in a forum he frequents, and wanted to know what was up with that.

I explained to him that everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if the poster never met me in person, let alone spent one minute with me on the water.  We had a conversation about professionalism, and he too has fallen under attack from sources behind the screen.

His second question to me, since the post peaked his curiosity to visit my website, was about the NuCanoe. We talked in depth about the NuCanoe and the stability of the unit and why I choose the NuCanoe to guide out of instead of the traditional boat.  I told him that the NuCanoe makes me the most aggressive and competitive canoe/kayak guide in the country and once people get in the NuCanoe, their skepticism quickly fades.

Yellow Popper
Guy is a die hard fly guy, and the reason he visits the forum he read about me in is to learn more about fly fishing the driftless area. He said the forum lacks any other kid of fishing, and he’s always wanted to try fishing for bass on the fly. I told him that I have the spot in mind for a good time, and if he was game to book an appointment to check out the NuCanoe and the worst guide in the Midwest.

When Guy and I finally hit the water, it was about 3:30 and muggy/ humid. I  already had the NuCanoes set up, and ready to go. He had one question: what fly rod to grab. He had five rods at his finger tips. I told him to grab the 7 wt, he felt it was too heavy and went with the 5. I was worried because I wasn’t sure the 5 will have enough backbone to hit a pike; but he will quickly prove me wrong.

Pike hitting popper off the water
Guy and I paddled to the top of a spring, a feeder for a slough that feeds the head waters of Lake Onalaska, territory any bass boat or even some flat bottoms would cringe. Riddled with sandbars and thick weeds, this water would prove a challenge for any propeller on any motor. Guy commented on how nice it was to glide over the weeds and that, though his paddle caught the weeds, he wasn’t having any trouble getting over them.

Once we got to the spring, it was game on. Guy tied on a yellow popper that produced several northern pike. At first he found himself getting clipped off, so he upgraded to a thin steel leader. Then he honed in on the pike, after the pike tore  his popper up, he switched to a silver streamer with a trailer, a rig the bass and dogfish couldn’t keep their teeth out of.

Bringing a 30 inch Pike
Guy will admit it was a little weird having a net guy in the next boat over, but it freed him up to fish where he wanted to fish, and allowed him to operate his fly rod effectively. He confesses that he doesn’t know what he would have done on a fly outing with another angler behind him.
Like many guests before, I had no problem running point, netting the fish, taking it off the hook and allowing my guest to fish. It’s nice to be face to face with my guest when they pull up their catch and high five them on their release.

After a 40 fish day, Guy was in tears. Never in his life would he imagine catching bass, pike, dogfish, and garr in the same 150 yards, and if he had smaller tackle, he would have caught crappie and bluegill.

Spunky Bass
Guy was humbled at the amount and size of the fish he caught on his fly rod, and never would have imagined the fish being so aggressive. He’d never dreamed of watching a pike or a bass jump out of the water to grab a fly. Guy said “it was just like on T.V” and was more than happy to return to the twin cities with his NuCanoe on order, and a few business cards to pass to his friends and other members of the forums he visits.

No comments: