Monday, October 19, 2009

The Week before the Duck Hunt

My son and I went out scouting for ducks and a place to setup. As we launched, we noticed a large school of fish feeding on flies that were skimming the surface. I went back to the truck and got the fly rod out.
I noticed that it was my eight weight and I had a strong tip-it on it. I could barley fit the tip-it through the eye but I worked at and tied the clinch knot and laid a fly in the slip stream where they were gulping flies. After about 4 attempts to present it how they wanted it the FIGHT was on. 15 to 20 minutes later I had slipped 10 pounds or more fish into the NuCanoe with me. This is the largest "Great Salt Lake Salmon" that I have caught on a fly. The fly had actually broke but the fly thread held together enough to actually land it. My arm hurt from the fight so I thought I would do it again. I had 4 more on but could not land them, they kept breaking off. It was a great day in the NuCanoe!

Garrett O.
Syracuse, UT



No comments: